At a Glance:
Magento 2 is a complete overhaul of Magento. The codebase is more maintainable, easier to extend, and brings many new features, better scalability and significant performance improvements.
What’s new in Magento 2?
- Faster page load speeds thanks to built-in Full Page Caching and Varnish Cache integration
- Enhanced admin dashboard: clearer graphic user interface, more flexible options to organise data, easier for new user, mobile/tablet friendly
- Checkout flow has been made easier for customers with “guest assumed” and email recognition functionality, which results in fewer steps and information requirements for a successful checkout
- Numerous performance improvements including faster data queries offered by better data indexing
- A newer and more organised codebase; Magento is quicker to customise and easier to maintain
- More scalability; the data structure has been compartmentalised to improve scalability on a technical level
- Backend improvements allow larger teams to make simultaneous edits to products and orders
How can I migrate to version 2?
As a complete overhaul of Magento, meaning an entirely new codebase and engineering paradigm, Magento 2 brings a few pain points for people planning on moving across:
- Magento 1 themes can not be migrated to Magento 2 directly. (Magento DevDocs)
- Magento 1 extensions in most cases are not compatible with Magento 2 code. (Magento DevDocs)
- Custom code used by your Magento 1 store is not compatible with Magento 2 in most cases. This includes things like integrations with inventory or warehouse management systems. (Magento DevDocs)
- Data Migration tools exist for core Magento functionality, but will typically not migrate data provided by Magento 1 extensions or custom code. (Magento DevDocs)
In effect, Magento 1 to Magento 2 should not be considered a straight up migration from one version to the next, and it's far from a simple upgrade.
Consider a Magento 2 migration as being in the same ballpark as building a new website from scratch.
Doghouse Agency has been working hard to ease the jump from 1 to 2, and while there’s simply going to be certain realities we can’t avoid due to the aforementioned issues, here are some of the areas we can assist with:
- Your existing themes make a good reference for our developers. You won’t need to go through a full UX and design cycle, although the themes will mostly need to be re-programmed from scratch.
- An up-front code audit will determine which missing extensions may need to be rebuilt from scratch.
- We are developing tools to assist with custom data migration between Magento 1 and Magento 2. By treating your old Magento 1 site as “just another data source”, we can map across custom data to your new Magento 2 site.
If you are looking to move from Magento 1 to Magento 2 in order to take advantage of the benefits of the newer platform, please Contact us today to arrange a Magento 2 Upgrade Audit.